[pure-silver] glass plates 11x14 with my homemade emulsion

  • From: AhYouBecky@xxxxxxx
  • To: tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, pure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:11:54 EDT

This is a letter sent to me yesterday by someone that is interested in
teaching his skills to someone else. Being that I am married and have young
children, I don't have the time to go on the road with him. I think this would
be a
great thing to know. I pass this along because my guess is that someone on the
list might be interested. If you are, email me privately and I'll see what I
can do to get you in touch with this man.
Some of the letter was sniped due to the fact it wasn't relevant to the list.

His words:
 some may use a 800 asa on a rainy day , they get a picture  but it is
without detailI--but in bright sunlight i may find myself under a tree shooting
up
thru the  leaves -trying to preserve detail ,shadow and the light playing thru
with that same 800 asa because i am more interested in what that  films
capability is.--Light and shadows create art. That is also why i gave up the
washed
out or muddy look of panchromatic film>The grays overwhelm the print and it
looks dull -I like contrast -dark blacks  and pretty whites and not to many
gray
zones -my negatives are glass plates 11x14 with my homemade emulsion and that
is projected onto a 33x42 stretched oil canves that i have coated with my
positive  emulsion-I make mommoth cameras -on wheels and also have a tent
camera
with a focusing table inside that can hold glass plates to 30 inches-i use
glass  not plastic film for my  negatives-my optics are huge military aero
recon
spy lenses-my two cameras on wheels use several smaller 600 mm lenses that i
purchesed on ebay-all this is my love or my wife and hope to travel back to
northern calif -to take pictures  maybe  canada-and alaska in the summer
months-i
have a van and a trailer i will haul my stuff in -will live on the road-i
wanted to find an apprentice to travel with me to teach this -to do this
someone
would really want to learn this- i want to visit laton and fresno and around
where i was raised.These 33x42inch murals on canves sell for several thousand
dollars and take time to make.Then you have to learn how to make emulsion.lots
of little secrets to learn and thats also why those that did it long ago didnt
tell there secrets.i was lucky living in hollywood as a younster working for
the studios had lots of time to meet old timers and many of them gave me their
notes -now im putting these all together even kodak has sent me some of their
stuff-they are so nice and even  the gelatin manufactures are sending me
gelatin that is  simalair to that made 120 years ago -i dont know who will want
learn this or who has the time -people are so lazy they want instant results
with out wasteing their time.