[pure-silver] Re: fluff

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:58:14 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 10:40 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] fluff

Is there any way to fix the effects of a little piece of fluff landing on the negative during exposure, after the fact? On the print it shows up as a sort of C-shaped thin black mark, about the size of the C in this email, or maybe a tiny bit larger, on a print 11x14. On the 4x5 negative, obviously, it's much smaller. I dare not try to fix the negative with spotone, as I've messed up negatives badly this way. Can I bleach away the C on the print?

Also, I vacuum and dust the holders out carefully, but this still happens. Yesterday I dusted my camera out thoroughly, and I"m going to vacuum it too with a little portable vacuum. How often does one have to do this to avoid this sort of thing?!?

--shannon

About the only thing I can suggest for the camera is to use mild sticky tape, like masking tape, to pick up any dust or lint the vacuum misses on both camera and holders. Test this on a small area of the inside of the bellows to make sure it doesn't do anything bad to the cloth. Vacuums seem to miss a surprizing amount of dust. I have had reasonable luck with Iodine bleach for removing spots from prints filling them in with Spotone (if you can find it). Any bleach requires refixing the print.