[pure-silver] Re: fix good?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:49:55 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Blackwell" <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 3:48 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] fix good?

Well after a while I mixed a batch of fix only to forget to turn down the water temp, and its now a very milky white mixture in appearance. I have mixed fix with water too hot before and it always seems to clear when it cools off

Would it likely be ok to use this as is? Could it be used, as a temp fix and then refix the negs later as insurance?

This might also clear, but I tried to help on portion of it along in the cooling process but it didn't seem to help.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think its possible the heat may have caused the thiosulfate to decompose. One of the steps in making alum-hypo toner is to subject a mixture of hypo and alum to high temperature water (above 160F) to get the hypo to decompose. The sign of the decomposition is a milky appearance. Most old fixer formulas specify crystalline hypo which is endothermic when it dissolves. That is, it cools the water and is difficult to dissolve if the water does not start out hot (Kodak specifies 125F). However, anhydrous hypo has little heat of solution and should not be mixed with water over about 90F. I am not sure if ammonium thiosulfate is similar but its usually available as a liquid concentrate because the powdered type does not have a long shelf life. In any case, hypo is pretty cheap so IMO its not worth taking a chance on it.

---