[pure-silver] Re: drips on roll film

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:35:34 -0600

I usually use filtered water or even distilled water to make up a photoflo solution, but it's possible I forgot.

I did use acid stop, and maybe i made it too strong.

--shannon

On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Mark Blackwell wrote:

Well first thing you need to do if you like the images is to get the best scans you can before you do a thing.  Its a safety factor in case something happens to them trying to fix them.  You can always correct the damage digitally, then send the file out to a place with a film recorder that can write the file onto film for you to print conventionally.

A couple of possibilities.  First question is do you have hard water?  It could be water deposits.  I also wonder if it could be a fixer issue.  Richard would be the one to know, but at the very least Id re fix in fresh fixer, rewash and fresh photo flo.  I don't think it would do any harm, and might help.  Others likely have better ideas.

The tiny holes are different issue.  Usually they are from an acid that is too strong.  The common culprit is the stop bath if you are using the acid stop bath.

Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have some bad drips on some of my roll film that I processed
recently. I was shooting out in west texas where the sky is very
pristine so the drips are very obvious. I think it might have
something to do with the Photo flo. Like, maybe it was old or I didn't
dilute it right or something. The reason I suspect the photo flo is
that the drips run lengthwise on the film, not crossways, which would
suggest a problem with pouring in the developer, or the stop or
something.

Some of these negatives also have "holes" in the emulsion that print
black. Not sure what causes that except for rough handling; but I was
pretty gentle with them, I think.

Despite all these goofs, I got a few good images! I wonder how old I
will be before I stop inventing new ways to screw up my negatives.

--shannon