[pure-silver] Re: developing colour film in D-76

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:25:49 -0500

Define a "good camera store"! The closest store that approaches that description 'round here, last time I was there had their retail space full of scrapbooking supplies and high markup accessories for digital cameras: cases, straps, etc. When I bought my chemicals from them, 25 gallons at a time, I ordered two weeks in advance.

Most of the C41 that I've seen sold at retail is in kit form: all the chems, premixed, in one package, with a prohibitively high price. I buy my chems from a distributor in Rochester NY, "PDI" or Photo Digital Imaging Supply. They turned me on to Trebla because it has longer life than Kodak, the packaging is more convenient for small tank, one-shot use, and it's cheaper. I haven't priced B&W chems lately, but the price buying in this way is not much more thsan B&W, assuming one-shot use.

It's late here, and since no one else has joined this message thread, I will tomorrow evening put together a list of the C41 chems I use and email you privately. I invite you to email me privately if you so desire. Unless someone else here shows interest in this subject.

When I first started in photography back in high school in the 1970's, my instructor was always telling us that color processing is ridiculously expensive and difficult unless you were doing massive amounts. That's no longer the case, and I am a crusader to that message! Caveat: for printing (RA4), I use a roller transport processor which automatically filters, maintains temp, replenishes the two chemicals, and spits out a dry print in 4.5 minutes. It's also the size of a desk, requires 220VAC wiring, and one gallon a minute of water when in use. I use an Eseco Speedmaster AF45 enlarger (Google it and check it out- it's great!) with an intergrated color analyzer controlling exposure and filtration. It's the size of two desks stacked on top of each other! Generally, the second print of any session and all following prints are right on.

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <BKarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>