[pure-silver] cameras as fashion accessories

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:13:37 -0500

When I first got my view camera, I took it to a local camera store to see if they had a lensboard that would fit it. ONe of the male clerks said, "How cute! It looks like a purse when it's folded up like that and you are carrying it." This sort of annoyed me.

When I got home I told my partner what the clerk had said. He said, "What would it have looked like if a man had been carrying it? A nuclear weapon?"

Maybe a suitcase bomb...One of my teachers described his camera as a "weapon of mass communication." (This was way before we were worried about Saddam and his WMDs.)

--shannon

On Aug 17, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Snoopy wrote:

At 19:25 17.08.2007, you wrote:
Amusing. Real cameras sometimes used to be referred to as "man- jewelry," not without cause in many cases.

Cheers,
Aaron

When I was a young lad, full of dreams (about 1977-79) I worked as a student sales assistant in a photo shop in Munich. We had a full length mirror in the shop and many male customers would pose with the camera in front of the mirror and then buy they one they thought looked best on them.

I recall that the Leica R3 camera "Safari Version" which came in a kind of khaki/drab olive look was extremely popular for looks and hence sold like hotcakes despite being a trifle on the expensive side. (Financial potency alert...)

None of the customers took any good pictures with the cameras they really were only status symbols...

Men can be a LOT more vain than women. I thought everybody knew that :-)

Also at the time photography was an almost exclusively male pastime, akin to fishing etc.. I cannot now recall ever having served or seen a female customer except for prints and reprints.

Love,
Snoopy