[pure-silver] bellows contraction factor

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:53:28 -0500

Hi, just wondering if there might be something called bellows contraction factor. When I use my new wide angle lens, which of course necessarily is closer to the film plane in a view camera, my negatives look overly dense, even when I expose and develop the same way that I do with the 150mm lens (for a 4x5 camera). I had the lens checked to make sure the shutter was timed right, and anyway I am timing it myself most of the time in seconds rather than fractions thereof. Could it be that contracting the bellows causes more light to hit the film, just as extending the bellows causes less light to hit the film plane?

--shannon