[pure-silver] Re: baking soda as wash aid

From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] baking soda as wash aid
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:40:48 -0800

> I saw on the Summitek site a suggestion for using Baking soda in the
  print wash water as a wash aid.  Any thoughts on this? Economical
  and low tox if it works well.

If you wash your prints in pure, deoinized water, addition of
bicarbonate would expedite washing. But I'm not sure if you use tap
water containing some. Levenson did this work in 60s.

As a conventional wash aid bath (not a washing water additive)
bicarbonate is also effective, but probably not as effective as
sulfite in many conditions. But sulfite bath has short shelf life
unless iron catalysis is poisoned and radical scavenger is added.
Bicarbonate may keep longer as a stock solution.

After all, I don't see a need to change sulfite wash bath though.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."