[pure-silver] argh

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 12:03:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'll try to respond here to the 2 posts I've gotten
from the free-lists site as they aren't being
delivered this morning!  I haven't even gotten my own,
(which caused me to investigate.)  Nothing's working
today!

Anyway, the prints were not toned, but others have
been in the past with the same working methods and as
I recall sepia toner will show any residual whatever,
esp. fixer, when used.  That is why I brought that up.

I just finished both tests and have 1-2 inch borders
to play with and I got nada!
Residual silver was clear and so was the bloody
residual hypo which I ran twice.  After a while the
test spots darkened (which is normal) so I ran the
test again just in case. The discoloration is sooo
slight that it doesn't match even the lightest patch
on the Kodak hypo test card.

The yellowing is uneven and that seems to indicate a
wash issue, but I have no idea presently.  I would
think that given the large borders I have to work with
I'd find at least ONE spot that is discolored.  I even
tested the back of one print!

These were printed in late '01 and early '02 and hung
in a school with light impressions grey corrugated
backing and a rag overmat covering all but about 3/16
of an inch of the white border.

Storage and atmosphere may be an issue but I've had
this occur one other time (totally different prints)
within a few months of printing.  They had been left
in an envelope of unknown achival-osity (hehe).
presently it's unknown if the school had been painted
recently, but other prints there are OK.

Eric