[pure-silver] Re: Why does B&W Film Scan so poorly

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:09:25 -0500

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 10:44, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
> <quote who=Sauerwald Mark date=[2/27/2005 19:59]/>
>
> > Where I have had the best results, is not to try
> > scanning the negative, but to generate a print in the
> > wet darkroom, then scan the print.
>
>     Mark and everyone else who replied: Thank You.
>
>     I at least now know why they come out sucky. The problem for is I
> like B&W film and I like developing my own. I like making my own prints.
> The fact that the scans come out looking so horribly is problematic.
>
>     What I might do is get myself a used JOBO CPE2 and then see how I
> like colour. I might have to start choosing which films I use based on
> if I think I will scan it or not. Not sure..

        You don't need a Jobo for colour. Simple and cheap methods exist to
handle
C-41 processing. If later you decide that you like processing colour you can
spend the money on a processor.  IIRC the CPE-2 is also the most limited
model. If you decide to go that route it might make sense to spend a little
more and get the bigger model.

        Nick