[pure-silver] Re: The Quest

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:38:44 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 25, 2006 2:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: The Quest

Hi,

Richard Knoppow wrote:

snip substantially:

I've only ever seen one. This is a monorail camera. The B&J 8x10's have a reputation for being floppy. That can be cured by tightening up the clamps.

How do you go about doing this? I want to buy a B&J 8x10 and will want to do it but I also have a B&J 5x7 that could use a bit of tightening up????

Cheers,
Bogdan

The clamps get stretched. If one squeezes them down a little it can tighten up the camera a lot. There are probably other sources of floppiness than the clamps. My Agfa/Ansco cameras had glue joints that got loose. I reglued them. The B&J cameras are reasonably strongly made. Some other cameras, like the Korona, were too light to begin with so they tend to have problems with stability. B&J cameras, especially the 8x10, were widely used by photographers who had to make 8x10 transparencies for commercial purposes but usually shot other formats. The cameras were relatively inexpensive but had all the movements one would need.

---