[pure-silver] Re: The Quest

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:50:47 -0800

On Thursday, December 14, 2006, at 11:34AM, "Nick Zentena"
<zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thursday 14 December 2006 10:44, Adrienne Moumin wrote:
>

>> "He also dabbles in darkroom cuisine, cooking up his negatives with an
>> enlarger designed for an electron microscope to achieve a degree of image
>> sharpness and contrast impossible to get with traditional photographic
>> equipment."  (What kind of enlarger is that, I wonder??)
>

>  Point source?
>

>> So I'm trying to figure out of it IS possible by this mere mortal, without
>> unlimited finances, to break my back & my wallet with a view camera &
>> serious tripod, and get the prints I dream of using my Saunders LPL 4550XLG
>> (oops, I think it would mean getting a new enlarger to accommodate the
>> larger negs?)
>>

>  A 4x5 camera and a couple of lenses isn't too bad on the used market. The
>lighter ones are not too heavy to carry. Will manage with a reasonable
>tripod. If you avoid the lenses/cameras with high collector appeal prices can
>be cheap.
>
>Nick
Putting some numbers on this, In the past three months I've been putting
together a 5x4 kit. Davis and sanforth tripod Ebay $34 described as "a big and
old tripod".
5x4 camera, actually a burk and james 5x7 with a 5x4 reducing back fitted, and
an Ilex anastigmat lens, $175 with some 5x7 holders thrown in,
in an antique shop in upstate connecticut.  5x4 film holders $30 for a lot of
five some, plastic, some wooden, on ebay.
Shipping on the tripod was another $30.
It can all cost significantly less than one of the latest digital P&S stocking
fillers for Christmas!
If I was throwing more money into the system I'd probably go for a better lens,
say an older symmar at 150mm or 210mm as these are plentiful and cheap on ebay,
and maybe go for a metal frame camera as being more rigid Here an off brand
Press camera could be a good choice.
Hope all this helps,
All the best
Larry Cuffe