[pure-silver] Re: Thanks

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:07:31 -0400

Hi John,

As far as batteries are concerned you have several options.

1.  The simplest fix is to use two silver oxide batteries.  These have
an output of 1.5 volts rather than the 1.35 volts for the mercury
battery.  The silver oxide batteries are usually smaller and would
require the use of an O-ring or something similar to make make them fit.
You would then compensate for the voltage discrepancy by using a
different ISO speed setting on the camera.

2. If the camera has an adjustment for the light meter you could
recalibrate it for silver oxide batteries.  This is usually a variable
resistor in the camera body.

3. A Schottky diode 1N6263 or similar could be added to the meter
circuit to compensate for the use of silver oxide batteries.  There are
many articles on the net about doing this with older cameras.

4. Another simple fix is to use zinc-air hearing aid batteries which
have the same voltage as mercury batteries.  Disadvantage is that they
discharge even when the camera is not in use.  However, removing the
batteries and placing a bit of tape over the air holes will stop this.
There is a zinc-air battery as large as the PX625 mercury battery.  In
any case they are cheap.  You will have to drill a small hole in the
cameras battery cover to allow air to pass through.

Hope this helps.

Jerry