[pure-silver] Re: Temporary darkrooms

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:08:46 -0400

2008/4/14 Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>:

>  Organization (which for me wasn't easy) was the only way to speed the
> process up.  When you KNOW right where everything is and do it the same way
> every time you get quicker.  Looking for things in the process for me was the
> biggest time waster.

   My enlarger is stuck in what I think is meant to be a small closet.
First problem is I either have to bend over to reach the easel or
crouch down. Which means either my knees get it or my back. I need to
somehow get the enlarger higher.

   But before I can even get to it, I have to first haul out tool
boxes, vacuum cleaner, hot press (which weighs a ton)..

   Then move out all the crap on top of the enlarger..

   Hook up the print washer to the washing machine hookup.. I think I
could save time here by setting up valves.. Not to mention leakage.

   Put out the trays, mix the chemicals..

   Then light tight the office. I had my girlfriend sew up a large
thick curtain which works well. But I still have to use masking tape
to seal it off.. More time spent.

   Finally I can get printing.

   Take down is less long except for ridding of the water from the
print washer. I think I will buy a little pump and have it empty out
into the drain for the washing machine. At least I can do other things
while it's emptying.

   But all this to say that it gets in the way of me wanting to print.
I have to plan out my printing sessions. I can't just say "oh, let's
print this" because it's two hours of setup and take down to make one
print!

   Almost makes me want to go digital... ALMOST.

http://www.shampoo.ca