[pure-silver] Re: Temperature Rule of Thumb

  • From: "Kurt J. Griffin" <kjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:28:10 -0700

Elias wrote
How can I compensate for temperature higher than 68 in my paper developing? Should I try to cool things down?

Ilford used to have a nice semi-log graph (temp vs. time) with parallel diagonal lines indicating equivalent development. I've been using this with good success for some years now. It's close enough for the first roll, then I can make some adjustments from there. The old bookmark doesn't work, but I was able to find a tabular version of this info:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006210208211880.pdf

The page right before this one suggests +/- 5C or 10 F for the variations among chem/washes. The massive devel. chart at digital truth often gives times for a few different temps, too.

For what it's worth, I've standardized on 24C for much of the year as a compromise between cool enough to work well, but not needing an extraordinary amount of ice to cool everything down. Except for the first bit from the pipes within the house, my "cold" water is coming out at 35C / 95 F.

Kurt "It's a Dry Heat" Griffin
Tucson, AZ