[pure-silver] Re: Strange Hiccups on pure-silver ??

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:48:46 +0200

Snoopy a écrit :
Sorry for posting to the whole list, but I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same hiccups?

Very often in the past month or so I get no posts for days on end. Then I get some which are replies to questions I have misseed. So there is abviously list traffic that went before!

But I only receive it weeks  later...

Just now I got messages coming in from July 27th!!! and August 4th, 5th and 6th, like "word from Ilford", where I have already seen about a dozen replies before...so basically the posts I now see are arriving here two to three weeks late?

IS anything majorly wrong with the list server?

Is anyone else seeing this? Or am I being excommunicated ? :-)

Thanks for anyone who can help or shed some light on this?

Love,
Snoopy
Hi !
The standard acceptable delay for one server to send an email is 4 days (before it send back an error message and give up on transmission). So if every server in the path had problem sending, you've to multiply this 4 days delay by the number of hops and get ... months ! This fortunately never happens ! but the following is more likely : Imagine one server on the path from Freelist to the mail server onto which you gather it has some problems : it gets the mails and then because of some failure or scheduled downtime or whatever reason, it fails to forward them. These messages get stuck at this location. when the machines comes back on line, it does it's job and deliver it's send queue. So you "miss" the sequencing. Things are worse because when it's down mail server found another path from Freelist to your's ISP mail server (normally an ISP provides 2 or more mail servers in order to survive a failure, remember, Internet is a network devised by military during the cold war. It was designed to survive massive atomic bombing of the Unites State ) So during the time the server is down, you get the messages responding to the message you missed... Alas, these situations are quite impossible to diagnose because you do not know which path the particular Email out of sequence has got. So you may complain to your ISP (they often are the culprit...) and attach to your complaining email the one you get out of sequence ensuring you send them the full list of headers which contain the actual path followed by this particular message. If the delay was caused by a server failure or a server stop without proper procedure (flushing the send queue BEFORE shutting down) they will know someone has noticed their poor professionalism. If they are not the culprit.... you're left with an out of sequence message.
Hope this helps ;-)

--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,