[pure-silver] Re: Silverholes... was Pinholes in Lith

  • From: "J. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:02:36 -0400

Thanks for all the comments, folks.

I haven't yet tried a good, low-alkalinity developer yet (anyone suggest one
I can mix up myself that doesn't use carbonate?) but I have ruled out some
things.

Ryuji, I did try a different pack of film from a different lot.. I saw no
improvement / change. It's Arista Ortho Lith.

First, the pinholes (and actually pin-lines) I'm getting vary in size (up to
perhaps 1/32 inch), and the density (# per unit of area on the film) of them
vary widely from one plate to the next. Size and variability differ so much
that use of lith for what I want is futile, so I'm interested in solving
this problem.  This is for masking purposes, using the lith mask alone in
the negative carrier.

One of the conditions that seem to reduce the number and size is exposure. I
developed plates the same way after exposing them by contact print under  a
step wedge. Exposure was twice to three times my control exposure.
Interesting finding: as exposure increased and density on the emulsion
increased, the size and # of holes/lines drastically reduced.  Development
time (exposure equal) did not alter the character of holes/lines.

I also tried to see if the defects were there before fixing. After water
rinse, I turned on the inspection lite and viewed the lite directly thru the
film... no evidence of "holes, spots, or lines".  Within a minute of fixing
in TF4 (alkaline fix), that same film had very obvious spots and lines.

I'm wondering if alkaline fixer might be the problem, not the alkalinity of
the developer. Most developers are around 8- 8.5; I think alk fixers are
higher pH.

Is it possible that the problem is my fixer, not my other processes?

Jim