[pure-silver] Silverholes...

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:14:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Films made by major manufacturers contain small pin
>holes... They are very visible under decent optical
>microscope....

Hummm... Who are you excluding here? I mean
What about the films made by the MINOR manufacturers?

Do their films contain bigger holes?
Or do they just make a hole-lot-less film?
;+)

Ryuji, have you ever used Kodalith?

I suspect the pinholes referred to are in the range of
hundreds of microns in diameter....

When I was using Kodalith the pinholes were visable
under a decent optical device called the human eye!

Jokes aside,

I went back to Jim's post and found this:

From: "J. Stewart"
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:16:27 -0400

I've tried everything I know to avoid pinholes on
lith.
<snip>
I'm using Arista Lith 4x5.
I get sometimes hundreds of very tiny specks on the
densest parts of the film
(where they are most obvious). None are over the size
of a pinhead. The number
of specks is highly variable, suggesting it's not due
to a manufacturing defect.. or maybe it is).

Is there something about using lith that others can
share to help me solve this
problem?

Jim
--------------------
Jim, I think it was Jerry who wrote that a certain
amount of pinholes are to be expected.
It (the presence of pinholes) was always my
experience.

Are you new to working with lith film?

I belive this may be a case of where emulsion
technology did not progress far enough to result in a
really excellent marketable product.

Not all products actually reach an acceptable level of
quality before they are put on the market and become
widely used.

Perhaps now there is a lith film that is totaly free
of pinholes, but I only used KODALITH ORTHO so my
experience is limited to that product:

It was standard practice not to begin any work with
lith film without a bottle of either the black or red
opaque and a brush.
BTW rePureRyuji

I tried to check out Ryuji's silver list but get/got
no response... What's happening?

Ray