[pure-silver] Re: Pyro in a Jobo Processor

> ..Hi Jim,
>
> I also use these buffers regularly (actually right now), and I always
> understood that the EDTA was essential for the conductivity(?) during
> electrophorsis, but how this exactly works I cannot remember..., but
> omitting EDTA gives terrible running behaviour of DNA molecules..ok
> enough off-topic..;-)..

I don't do electrophoresis here but the properties of the pre-packaged
buffer as sold by Sigma was too good to pass up for photography.  It comes
in 1L pouches and makes 1000ml buffer that is about 500mM (0.5M). This can
be diluted 1:5 or 1:10 for use in developers, unless you want a more
alkaline reagent.

Can't think why Ca and/or Mg sequestration might improve DNA mobility in
gel...   this might have implications for photography as the gelatin layer
is a gel also and silver halide/sliver granules may have some degree of
mobility (undesirable, as it might lead to graininess) but no electric field
is applied to the film (not on purpose that is).

JB