[pure-silver] Re: Pure Black and Golden.

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:19:11 +0100

On 2/3/05 5:47 AM, "Peter Badcock" <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK so moving on now, I have the other test roll left to
> process.  The "Quick and Easy" method to customise my film
> speed and development in "Way Beyond Monochrome" suggests to
> under develop by 30% for a high contrast sunny day.  And
> lower the ASA by 1 1/3 stops (e.g. 400ASA down to 160ASA).
> I've already exposed at 800ASA; is the best advice still to
> develop 30% less than the nominal(400ASA) time, or will this
> result in negatives that are too thin?

Shadow density is mainly controlled by exposure, highlight density is mainly
controlled by development. By exposing the ASA 400 film at EI 800, some of
the shadows tones are lost. Extra development will not get much of them
back. Extra development will increase highlight density and contrast. Less
development will result in thin highlights on top of the thin shadows.

I suggest normal development and print contrast control via paper grades.
Also, don¹t exclude dodging and burning.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht