[pure-silver] Re: Processing Verichrome Pan

  • From: Martin magid <martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pure Silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:43:39 -0400

Mark, i mentioned that the camera is a Kodak 3A Autographic, which takes (or
took) 122 film, which had 6 frames of 3-1/4 X 5-1/2".  It was a popular size
in the day, called the "postcard" format.  122 film was discontinued in
1971.  They may have existed, but I never owned and never saw a reel that
could accommodate film that wide.  Like Richard, I began my photographic
life developing film using the see-saw method with 127 film, from a Falcon
camera, 16 very small negatives on a roll.

I buy old cameras that I can use. The one recent exception is a string-set
Kodak Daylight C that I got not too long ago, but I'm determined to use that
one, too.  The unavailability of film has never bothered me.  I have always
found a way to use cameras using either 120 or 35mm film. As long as I have
the original paper backing and the spools, I can roll smaller film onto the
backing and use it in the camera.  I have done that fairly often with 35mm
film rolled onto 127 paper backing, and used it successfully in 127 cameras.
 I have done the same thing with 122 cameras, using 120 film.  For other
cameras, I have devised adapters that fit onto the ends of 120 spools to
fill the empty space in the film chambers of larger cameras.  In the 1990s I
made and sold hundreds of those adapters through an ad in Shutterbug, after
an article about them appeared in the magazine.

For years I bought at camera shows all the old rolls of film no longer made,
and now have the backing paper and spools for about 15 of those odd rolls,
all of them larger than 120.  I also own cameras that took those old rolls,
so I can use them all.  And develop them using the see-saw method.

Marty