[pure-silver] Re: Paperdeveloper for roller transport machine

  • From: "Roman J. Rohleder" <rjrohleder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 02:06:51 +0200

Hallo Martin,

I'm really not sure about correct fixing and washing in this machines.

The Meteor Metoform I´m using takes a total time of 4min dry>dry on
RC-papers (in the current speed setting and with 32°C on the dev tank).
Each rack takes the same amount of time, the setup is Dev>Water>Fix>Water
with a water replacement rate of 1l/min (it´s set up to 2,5l; giving it a
higher water flow results in an overflow and cross-contamination fo the
chemicals.

Printo I'll fetch on saturday has four modules and two different dryers
(I was told one "normal" dryer and a special "Ciba" dryer, whatever this
is). The seller used the thing for RA4.

I just found a copy of "Foto&Labor" 2-1992, featuring a comparison of
three paper processors - Thermaphot, the then brand-new and flawed Durst
Printo, Fujimoto. If you care, I´ll send you a scan of it.

According to it, the "Ciba-Dryer" is nothing but a module, a stack
prolonging the drying time you give to the paper. No special dryer/heater,
not needed with RC.

He said, I could use one module for developer, one for fixer and two for
washing. However, 2.5l washing water per module can't work very long? Is
it possible to change the water permanently?

The other thing I wanted to tell you is in regard to the wash water. If
you have two washing tanks, you can place them in a cascade, filling the
first with the used washing water of the second by mounting the exit house
#2 to the input hose of #1.

So, it seems to be designed for a constant water flow.

I´m still thinking about what to put into my Meteor once the stock of
chemicals (Eukobrom, N113) is depleted. It probably will be Spur Paper-Dur
M, but there might be an other option - xray-developers.

They are designed to last a long while and a friend of mine recently gave
me some 30l of Kodak "Readymade Dental" Dev and another 25l of Fix, which
he got from a dentist switching over to digital xray. As the name tells,
it´s a ready made solution, bottles of 5l each, ready to be used up. I
used it in trays and in my old RCP20 and results and it lasted a very
*long* time.

As long as I get it for free, I´d use it. ,-) Another option in this
market is "Duerr XR", available from ebay as a concentrate for xray film
RT. That same friend uses such an old RT for his papers and feeds it with
the Duerr chemicals.

That being said... Paper Dur M may still be the best option in regards of
economy, replenishment rates, longevity.

Grüße aus Hohenlohe,

     Martin Jangowski

As the Ilford 2150RC was mentioned in this and another thread - I may know
someone knowing where a few unused and "now old stock" machines are
available. He did the service on them and he is using one in his private
darkroom too. Jeffrey, if you need the "Continental Europe" version or
spares for it with 230V DC setup, ping me with an email, I´ll get you in
contact with him.

Snoopy, my Metoform takes a few FB papers without problems. I need to slow
it down, but the roller transport racks grab and transport it just fine (I
tried it with Polywarmtone and with Efke VC paper).

Roman