[pure-silver] Re: Oh How I Miss This Paper

As I also remember the Record Rapid was a European or English name for the same
paper that was called Portriga Rapid in the US.  As you came to the US in the
80s it could be a timing issue as it was in the mid 80s that the Portriga was
changed and the worst part of the change was the surface of the paper.
Previously it was a beautiful flexible surface that could be made almost like
metallic sheen but the new version was like Naugahyde, like a fake leather
surface.
An interesting thing to me was that as I was very attached to and very
devastated by the change in the paper, advertised as the new and improved
Portriga, I was complaining to an old photo friend back then and he gave the
the ah pysha that Agfa had pulled the silver out of and ruined the paper in the
mid 70s.  So it is all relativity.  If you read old texts by the likes of
Edward Weston, they complained about the decline of paper quality as well.  Now
people are pining away for Agfa Classic that was recently re introduced as ADOX
MCC Classic like it is some old special paper when in fact that was crap paper
since generations before it's creation.  I never used the Agfa Bromide back in
the 80s as I preferred the warmth of Portriga but I did commercially use
Oriental Seagul graded.  The same paper that Brett Weston advertised as Quite
Frankly the best paper I have used.  It is not so frequently noted that that
Oriental paper went to crap in the mid 80s the same time as the Afga paper did.