[pure-silver] Re: OLDER FIXER OK TO USE?

  • From: Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:01:30 -0400

The Ilford fixer I'm using is older than that and I've used it with no problems. I can't say what it the prints will look like in 100 years, but I've had no problems for the years I've been using these. (Sorry, I know my answer isn't scientific.)

On Apr 5, 2007, at 6:20 PM, hksvk wrote:

I have been given an unopened 5 gallon plastic carboy of Edwal Quick Fix that is 5 years old. The solution is clear and there is no precipitate. I would use it with fiber paper without a hardener. Can I safely use it as if it were fresh from the factory? Or should I somehow test it for complete fixation of the prints and also for complete removal after final wash and/or
test it in some other way?

I found some info in the Photo Lab Index stating that fresh Edwal fixer concentrates can be stored for 4-5 years in tightly closed glass bottles,
but that air diffuses through the plastic bottles. I think the plastic
carboys have thicker walls than, say, the 1 quart plastic bottles, but I don't know if the material is the same--maybe more or less permeable to air,
ie., oxygen.

Is oxidation of the thiosulfate the potential problem that could reduce the
effectiveness of the fixer?

Thank you to responders who know about this.
Harry.