[pure-silver] Newbie Bulk Loader mistake

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:44:37 -0400

    Hi,

   My bulk loader arrived yesterday. It's an Alden 74. I loaded the bulk
film in, ran the film into the canister area and closed it all up and
flipped the lights on.

    So far so good.

    I loaded a canister in, taped the film to the spool and started to
crank the film onto the reel. It was nearly impossible to do. The film
kept slipping.

    Finally, after the 5th roll, I realized that I am supposed to twist
the light trap to the "open" position to let the film freely flow. Ooops.

    While it was easier to load, I still had some problems with
slipping. It appears that if I tape the side of the film at the start,
when taping it to the reel, the slipping stops.

    I have two questions:

    1) Have I ruined the first 5 rolls by scratching the emulsion while
dragging it through the closed light trap? I've exposed a roll yesterday
to test and I will soup it later this weekend to make sure.

    2) Certainly someone has a trick to keeping the film from slipping
on the reel?

    Thanks so much,

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx