[pure-silver] Re: Negative Exchange

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:13:26 +0000

Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Negative Exchange
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:47:01 +0200
From: C.Breukel@xxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: pure-silver-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pure-silver-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Speedy

Sent: woensdag 7 oktober 2009
14:39

To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [pure-silver] Negative
Exchange

The negative is
comparable to the composer's score and the print to its performance. Each
performance differs in subtle ways.

- Ansel Adams

think everyone would agree that the print exchanges are interesting,
educational and FUN!

In
the print exchanges we have all seen each others performance of their own work.

How
about something just a little different a Negative Exchange.

How
would it work?

 6 participants would each go
     out and make ONE negative.
 They would send their
     negative to me.
 I would send one negative to
     each photographer with a list of the other participants.
 Each participant would be
     given one month to print 7 identical prints of the negative.
 After printing the Printer
     would cross their name off the list and then mail the negative to the next
     printer on the list who would then have one month to make 7 identical
     print, And so on until all six negatives had been printed.

 On the back of each print
     note the name of the photographer, and your name along with details of
     what went into making the print.

 After you have printed all
     six negatives send all prints to me and I will put it all together and
     send to each participant along with their negative.

This
would be interesting because each photographer would be approaching each
negative with none of the preconceptions that the photographer or any of the
other printers might have.  Every negative is open to interpretation.
 It will be interesting to see your interpretation of others negatives.

As
Ansel Adams might say you would have the opportunity to perform the music
written by another with your own interpretation.

Issues
to be discussed:

The
number of participants was picked by me.  It can be larger or smaller.

There
probably should be a standard format for the exchange.  35mm may be
universal.  If all participants can print larger sizes then larger format
negatives should be considered.  I can print everything from Minox to 4X5
so it doesnt matter to me.

Should
there be a theme?

Time
issues 1 month to shoot your negative and mail.  One month to print each
negative.

Number
of prints  - one per printer plus one extra.

When
mailing in your prints please include the amount it cost to ship to me to cover
the cost of shipping the group back.

Another
thought - should each photographer also print seven copies of their own
negative so a camparison of the various interpretations can be made to the
performance by the creator of the image?

Please
share your thoughts on the conduct of this exchange.  The Negative
exchange would be open on a first come basis...

Good
Light!

Chuck
Ulm

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
now.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/