[pure-silver] Re: Mystery lines?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:35:34 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Thorns" <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:25 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Mystery lines?

Well the final resolution is rather odd.

I mixed up twice as much LPD and still got the density marks.

I opened a new box of paper. Same marks.

Walked thru everything with safelights out to look for static or light leaks - nothing.

I scrubbed out the dev tray, and mixed up some Agfa Neutol. Seemed to improve the situation (density marks were much smaller and fainter), but still a few marks.

I should mention that the fixer I was using is something new to me (Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer).

I was also using a very fast rinse in the stop bath (Kodak Indicator) - just 10-15 seconds.

I mixed up some Ilford Rapid Fix and lengthened my time/agitation in the stop bath and voila - marks are gone. Made another 15 11x14s from various negs and had no re-occurance of the mystery marks.

Now, maybe, I changed other things and don't realize it, but, I never would have thought that the fixer could have anything to do with density marks(!?!?)

I wonder if the fixing was complete. Test one of the prints with Kodak Selenium toner diluted 1:9. If there is any residual silver or silver complex in the print it will stain yellow or brown.

---