[pure-silver] Re: More testing

  • From: Tony Wingo <akw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:59:45 -0800

At 5:10 PM +0000 2/19/06, Clifford Brown wrote:

Thank you Richard, and others, who have responded kindly with their help. To Rick Gordon, I can only say the issue has a photographic element, insofar that I am bombarded with offers of pirated software, and the source of the problem may come from lists such as this: is possible to lift addresses in this way?

Clifford,
Somerset U.K.

Lists such as this are not a particularly likely source of addresses for spammers, since actual address lists are not terribly accessible, unless security on the host server has been breached. Spammers have myriad ways of gathering addresses, not the least of which is a directory harvest attack, where they flood a mail server with mail addressed to millions of made up names, and then assume that anything that doesn't bounce corresponds to a legitimate email account. The sad reality is that once you have an email address, the spammers will get it, by hook or by crook.
--

-tony

San Leandro, CA

http://www.shapesandshadows.com