[pure-silver] Re: More testing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure-Silver Free" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:23:15 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:42 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: More testing

My oldest son owns our family mail server and it is hooked
onto the Internet in a large university complex. No ISP
involved. My son has ASSP Spam Filter Gateway (Anti-Spam
SMTP Proxy) installed, which does a pretty good job of
killing spam. It has a large white list that helps it
select spam. It is simple to add spam definitions to the
white list.

I have used Eudora since its inception and the current
version (for at least the past couple of years) includes a
spam filter, routing spam to a junk folder. You can set
various parameters and if spam does happen to get through,
you manually send it to the junk folder, and Eudora
learns, assigning more weight to that type of message. A
couple of manual transfers is all it takes to permanently
ban a particular type of e-mail from your in-box.

The pair, ASSP and Eudora, are pretty effective at
eliminating spam from one's in-box.

Jim

I used Eudora until they started bundling the free version
with the advertising version of the full Eudora. I suppose
one day I will buy the full version but I don't need such a
complex mail client.
The problem with client-based spam filters is that you
must download the spam for the filter to work. Even if you
don't see it its still on the mail spool. I doubt if third
party server level spam filters work any better than the one
at Earthlink. What has happened is a limited problem and is
certainly curable. The trouble I have is that Earthlink has
no real customer service. One gets shunted to a chat based
support system, probably based in India, where the operators
really don't know much about the network. They often don't
even understand the problem and ask questions that have
already been answered. Any solution beyond re-booting ones
computer are difficult to reach. The fellow I worked with
did have some ideas but none of them have worked. The
problem is exclusive to the two mailing lists I belong to on
Freelists. I get all posts from these two lists with the
exception of my own. I can e-mail myself directly so the
blocker is not blocking my address. Rather, there is
something in the header of my own posts coming back from the
list server which it does not like. This problem probably
began after I accidentally moved a spam message and added
its address. I removed the address but the problem exists. I
have a very large address book on for dickburk so editing it
is taking time. I rather think the same thing happens on
other spam blockers.
I check the "suspect mail" mail box the spam blocker uses
for messages it does not recognize as spam but are not in
the address book a few times a day to look for stuff I want
to down load. The blocker sends out a notice to the sender
of messages routed to this folder but those will go back to
the list machine, which probably deletes them. Anyway, I
will continue to work on this as time permits and will make
occasional tests on this and the pure-silver list.
The thing to remember about computers is that they do exactly what they have been told to do. I have to figure out where the spam blocker has been told to do what it is doing.
Now, back to Rollei stuff...

---