[pure-silver] Re: More on Sink project

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:31:05 -0500

Hi,

I quite agree; all things being equal (which they never are), I'd go the the copper pipe route, even for the drain. I used several black PVS 5" plumbing pipes, cut to 14" with a cap glued to the bottom. Great for soak/washing 4 or 5 Patterson reels in Hypo Clear and later in Photo Flo stored in PVC cannisters. Turned out that something in the Photoflo acted as a solvent on the PVC glue and the joint between the cap and pipe started to leaked, tried Epoxy, same result. Now I use an old Patterson 5 reel plastic cannister.

But if that isn't an option due to certain constraints, like no wanting to have to rebuild dry wall, then the "soft solution" is the viable choice, although less desireable, in the long run.

I'm enlarging my darkroom so that I can have a 16' X 28" sink along one side and I'll be doing everything in copper, even the drain pipes. Finally, space...... :)

Cheers,
Bogdan

Mark Blackwell wrote:

As far as the risk of failure, its there anyway. I'll have a washer with the same connectors right next to this one. Whether its the hose to the washer or the hose to the darkroom sink that totally fails it will be a mess. Then again with plumbing what isn't. The most likely failure though won't be a blown out hose. It will be a gradual leak, usually at a connection that should be fairly easy to route and be seen so it can be fixed before major damage. Im the first to admit solid pipe would be better, and I might do it that way, but then that will take much more of a plumbing job, and there the risk of a leak would be in the wall and much harder to fix. Its also very unlikely to happen.

Its just not a usual way to do things. PVC pipe, metal or copper pipes are all ordinary was to handle drinking water. The rubber hoses to the washer only handles wash water. I was mainly concerned that something in the hose material might somehow effect the photo prints. Then again photography isn't lab work. Most things don't need to be that pure or the whole process would haven't been developed so long ago. Yet still if its a known problem that I just don't know about (which in photography is a lot) its worth the extra time, expense and headache to put the lines in the wall.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>