[pure-silver] Re: Modern Day Prejudice

  • From: "Harry Lock" <harrylock@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 07:30:09 +0200

Hi All

I also wrestle with the film/digital issue. All of my friends, some pro, some keen amateurs, are shooting digital and have abandoned film completely. I on the other hand have kept (and use) all of my film cameras and have a basic digital SLR. I have also just renovated my house to make room for a permanent darkroom. Now they are all hinting at an invitation to come and relive the good old days in my darkroom. I am childishly holding out while telling them the fun I am having with my pin-holes and alt-process prints.

I have been somewhat vindicated by a recent workshop held here explaining the requirements of museums, serious galleries and picture archives when it comes to digital media. Apparently the minimum requirement is 48 megabytes and above. None of their digital SLR's can do this straight out of the camera. I am very quick to point out that a scan of a neg from my 1970's Hasselblad easily meets the requirement.

Apart from using film, I still play vinyl on a turntable.

Cheers
Harry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] cameras as fashion accessories
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:13:37 -0500

When I first got my view camera, I took it to a local camera store to
see if they had a lensboard that would fit it.  ONe of the male clerks
said, "How cute!  It looks like a purse when it's folded up like that
and you are carrying it."  This sort of annoyed me.

When I got home I told my partner what the clerk had said.  He said,
"What would it have looked like if a man had been carrying it?  A
nuclear weapon?"
--shannon