[pure-silver] Re: Methods to develop large size papers

  • From: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 06:28:34 -0700

Well almost most had to deal with this and I was going to hande it a different way.  I was going to build a tray with a drain at one end.  Open a valve and the chemicals could run down a tube back into a jug or bottle.  Then use the single tray processing method.  I wouldn't had anywhere near the room for 3 trays of that size and pouring chemicals out would have been a royal pain and may have had space issues there.  With a drain it was put the print in and switch the chemistry, then all I had to do was rock it.  The only time I touched the print was during the wash.  Since I did it the simple way by laying the print flat on the bottom, I did turn the print over and wash front and back.  After a few I ended up putting a thin piece of something under the print that was just high enough to get something under it to make getting it up easier. Still washed front and back, but it really might not have been necessary.  (Richard??)  I just figured it could do no harm and might save some grief later. Building it wouldn't be that hard or expensive.  It would just take time, but I would expect it to be far more a time saver than having to roll paper through solution subjecting the surface to scratches ect.

In the size you need it would indeed be heavy, but you wouldn't be lifting it that often with a drain in it.  Just enough to keep the chemistry moving over the print.  I did one or two prints in a garbage can once.  Not fun at all.

If you do go this route, don't try to go too light.  Water weights 8 lbs per gallon and you might need several gallons for this type of print if you want to try to completely cover it.  Yes you could just slosh it around, but if you think the print is worthy of going that big, why cut corners on creating it?