[pure-silver] Re: Methods to develop large size papers

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photo" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:37:37 -0500

Claudio, Something to look out for is contamination of your cloths. I don't
think you'll get it right on the first try, but you might. However, make
sure that you cloths are short sleeve. It's easy to lean over the print and
maybe pick up a little fixer that then get transferred to the paper either
under the enlarger or while you are getting it in the developer. While
assisting the making of prints back in the early 80's the long sleeves of my
boss hit the paper, slightly but enough to cause some very big white
patches. Of course they were on the otherwise better prints. Then what do
you do? fill in the big white area with spot tone or slightly enhance a
bunch of other not quite perfect spots?

Gloves and change them often or make sure that they fit really well without
possible pin hole leaks. Roll the paper from tray to tray or a water holding
tank. All my trays currently fit on hard surface table or in my sink. No
folding tables for me. 1) 40lbs  kitty litter tub hold 5 gal of solution so
I use those. Many light washes does a great job too of getting the fixer
down to a reasonable level for washing.  I would trim a little paper white
off the edges and in a separate area, do a residual fixer test. Have fun.

What paper are you thinking of using?

Eric Neilsen

Eric Neilsen Photography

4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9

Dallas, TX 75226

www.ericneilsenphotography.com

skype me with ejprinter

www.ericneilsenphotography.com/forum1

Let's Talk Photography

  _____

De: "Eric Neilsen Photo" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:57:09 -0500

À: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The biggest that I've done is 40"x50" or about 1/2 the size you are trying
to make. I have used trays ; )     Although the small canal/deep tray works
OK for some, I though it hard to see the image. working slightly more dilute
we did do some bigger images. Flat in part of the tray to get the chemical
on the paper then, rolling it up one way, and then the other. I'd adapt to
the space available. How do you plan to wash it? I use a tray siphon.