[pure-silver] Re: Liquid Light

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:02:09 -0400

Hi Mark,

Could you please keep us appraised of your results. Are you using an emulsion that you use for making dry glass plates, or is Liquid Light something different? Are you using gelatin to enable the emulsion to adhere to the canvas as you would if preparing a glass plate negative.

I've worked something out on paper but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I bought canvas that was already stretched on a 12"x12" wooden frame. I've already applied the Gesso, which is that white stuff you coat a canvas with to stop the paint from leaking through the canvas. I'm wondering if Liquid Light needs the Gesso or can be applied to the raw canvas directly. Do you use gelatin for the emulsion to adhere? One problem I foresee is putting the stretched canvas into the developer. The developer gets into the wood; will the stop penetrate and stop the developper action. Then the fixer, again, absorption by the wood. I don't know how the wood is going to react, will the chemicals wash out? There are two elements that have I have to take into consideration, the canvas and the wood. A regular paper print doesn't need a support. Maybe you can try using the canvas without stretching.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea worth pursuing. Keep us posted, or me at least. I want to try the same thing with "rice paper".

Cheers,
Bogdan

Mark Blackwell wrote:
Well I am getting in the experimenting mood again. FINALLY   The latest idea is
a bit different for me.  Instead of using photo paper, the idea is to use
Liquid Light to create an emulsion on different types of materials.  The
particular idea I'm first to try is instead of using a digital inkjet print on
canvas, why not put an emulsion on artist canvas and make a wet black and white
print that way.

Lots of things could be used, but I've never heard of this being done and it
sounds like it might be a neat effect.

Mark

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx