[pure-silver] Re: Liquid Emulsions

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:44:28 -0400

Alan,

Here are some relevant excerpts from "Silver Gelatin: A User's Guide to Photographic Emulsions", by Martin Reed & Sarah Jones, Amphoto, 1995.

Fabric prep:

1-possibly stretching the fabric, making it easier to work & preventing crumpling during drying:

Involves tensioning fabric around a wooden frame & pinning it into place. A tighter surface is produced for coatingf & it makes handling the piece in chemistry easier. Larger pieces are easier to work with, as the stretched fabric can be held vertically & processed in troughs.

2-protecting the emulsion from contaminants within the cloth:

There may be a problem of contamination from the staples or tacks used to attach the fabric to the stretcher, and these can be isolated by sealing them after tacking, using a silicon sealant of the type used for sealing in kitchen & bathroom appliances. Screws can be inserted into the wood of the stretcher, which can be used as grips during processing or for hanging during drying.

Good luck, I'd love to hear how it goes!

-Adrienne Moumin

***************************************
on the web at:  www.picturexhibit.com
Saatchi Gallery:   http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3
Tiny Fine Art:     http://tinyurl.com/o2ldp

From: ATIPPETT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:59:40 EDT
Subject: [pure-silver] Liquid Emulsions

I would like to experiment with liquid emulsion on silk tissue.
I would like some references on just how to get started.
Can someone give me a point at which I can start planning?

Thanks
Alan  Tippett