[pure-silver] Re: Law of demented returns....

  • From: "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:25:47 -0700

Stein wrote:

>     This was sparked by the quest for a light bulb to fit out my Beseler
> colour head
> - an 82volt 250watt model. The young man had never heard of such a thing -
> the sample
> I supplied dumbfounded him. A search on the computer revealed that there was
> one in
> stock and all it took was 15 minutes of waiting while he discussed what to do
> with
> the other employee. I prevailed on him to go search the stockroom or die on
> the spot
> and he took me at my word. 15 more minutes and I had it - $ 35 of lightbulb.

This reminds me of a many experiences I've had at Fry's Electronics stores.
The most remarkable one was when I wanted to by a Compact Flash card in
1998, when they weren't so commoditized.  I went to Fry's and asked where
to find one; the salesdroid dismissively pointed at the rear of the store
and said "it's back with the laptop stuff".  So I hunted for 10 minutes before
asking another salesdroid.  This guy said "Oh, they're right over there" and
pointed at the laptop accessories.  I mentioned I'd already looked there, but
he insisted.  So I looked another 10 minutes.  I basically was ready to give
up.  As I started to walk to the front of the store, it occurred to me that
CF card might actually be by the cameras, so I went to the camera section and
asked a salesdroid.  He says "Oh, CFs are back with the laptop stuff".  I told
him I'd already looked back there for 20 minutes with no luck, and he shrugged
and walked off.

If I didn't really want the CF at the time, I too would have shrugged and
walked off.

So I looked around the camera section, and, after a minute or so, found a
bunch of CF cards in a locked display case.  So, it took a few more minutes
to find the salesdroid, and I told him I wanted to buy a CF from the cabinet,
and pointed at it.  The cabinet was in front of us, at eye-level.  The droid
says to me again "The CFs are back in the laptop stuff".  I said "OK, nevermind
what it's called, I want to buy one of those things *right there*" and tapped
on the front of the glass cabinet.  He started to speak, but looked and realized
there was a CF about 3 inches from my finger.

Then it took him 5 minutes to find a manager with a key to open the cabinet.

Dana