[pure-silver] Re: Large camera plans

  • From: "Mark Blackwell" <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:49:46 -0600

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clifford Brown" <cliffordbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 2:34 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Large camera plans

Have you seen this site. There are others, but this might give you ideas. http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/6x9field.html

Clifford,
Somerset. U.K.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 6:36 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Blackwell" <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 6:02 AM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 7:33 AM

On Saturday 02 December 2006 01:32, Richard Knoppow wrote:

   Have you considered a Mamiya RB or RZ 67?  These cameras
have excellent lenses and the 6x7 negative is large enough
to produce excellent tone rendition and sharpness on any
ordinary size print (meaning up to around 16x20). I don't

Only issue is weight. My RZ67 must out weight many light weight 4x5s.

I borrowed a friends RB 67 and it was heavy than my 4x5. It was quicker to use, but really much heavier than my BJ Orbit 4x5. Its a good camera but travel isn't its strong suit. Color to get 4x5 processed (I think the last few sheets I did was about $10 for processing an a contact print) is high enough that I am not likely to go play.

The BJ Press Camera I didn't think about, but I don't understand what you mean Nick about the spring back. Does it accept regular 4x5 film holders??
I didn't realize the Mamiya was _that_ heavy. The spring back is the more or less standard back for view and press cameras. Its the kind where the ground glass panel is mounted using springs and the holder is slipped between it and the camera body. About 1951 Graflex began to offer what it called a Graflok back for its cameras. This has a spring loaded ground glass panel which acts like the regular spring back but is removable as a unit. Its held in place by a couple of sliding metal strips, similar to the way the lens board is mounted in many cameras. When removed various accessories, like roll film backs, can be put in its place. The same back was offered by other manufacturers as an "International" or "Universal" back. Whether having this on a camera or not makes any difference depends on whether you contemplate using accessory backs. BTW, Graflex also offered a third style of back, mostly on Graflex SLR cameras. This was called the Graflex back and was similar to the Graflok in that both holders and the auxilliary ground glass panel were held in by sliding metal strips. There are differences between the Graflex and Graflok so that stuff which fits one will not work in the other. Burke & James sold much equimpment under their own name. Most of it was lower priced but good quality. The B&J press camera was offered to those who wanted a press camera but at a considerably lower price than the Speed Graphic. Like the Crown Graphic it did not have a focal plane shutter. B&J cameras take the same lens boards and holders as the pre-1947 "Anniversary" Speed Graphic. They are good quality cameras. B&J also sold flat bed view cameras under their own name and monorail cameras under the Grover name. The late B&J view is very flexible but has a reputation for being floppy. It can be tightened up by some simple mechanical adjustments. B&J view cameras were quite popular in their time. The Orbit camera, if its the one I am thinking of, began as a Kodak product called the Kodak 4x5 Master View camera. At some point the design was sold to Calumet, who sold it as the model CC-400. Calumet made three versions with different length bellows and rails. The same camera, or at a very similar one was built by B&J as the orbit. B&J actually made a 5x7 version, I only ever seen one. These are good, servicable cameras which will do most view camera jobs but, like all monorail types, are not ideal for field use. I have a CC-400 among my collection.

---

Richard I think you are right about the Orbit. It does everything I want with a 4x5 except for being portable. Mine has about a 25 inch rail on it. Seems to do the job I need. All in all I guess I came out ok with it. It came with a 210mm Ilex Acutar that had a 81/2 inch coverage and F 6.3 I think to F 45 I believe. IIRC its on a Copal No 1 shutter. Suspect the shutter is slow especially at the upper an lower ends of the scale but again it hasn't caused me a problem.

Lighter, durable and flexiblity all would be keys. I knew about the BJ press cameras but I hadn't thought about one for way to deal with the lighter stuff.

Thanks to all for all the website locations. Each has been helpful for many reasons. The main one is that I know for certain that building ones own camera has been done successfully. Might do both buy a press camera and build my own.