[pure-silver] Re: Large Format Tilt

At 10:57 AM 12/4/2007 -0500, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

But a quick question, with a wide angle lens for a 4x5.. say 75mm, does it react in the same way as a wide angle for say 35mm in that I can get more stuff in focus ? Would this help in tight situations like the one I originally described ?

DOF is based on image size (on the film) and f/stop. If you use a 150mm lens at say f/16, and take a photograph, and then install a 75mm lens and move your camera forward so that the image size on the film is the same as it was with the 150mm lens, then also stop down to f/16, and take a photograph - your DOF will be identical for both photographs.

If you remain at the same position, of course the 75mm lens will cover a lot more than the 150mm lens and because the image size on film is different, the DOF will be different - more DOF at f/16 with the wide view on film via the 75mm lens. You could move back with the 150mm lens to cover the same as the 75mm lens and, of course, have the identical DOF at f/16.

There is no free lunch!

:-)

Jim