[pure-silver] Re: Kentona Weirdness

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:28:14 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: Elias Roustom
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:30 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Kentona Weirdness

I've uploaded a scan of the prints that typify the yellow staining my Kentmere Kentona prints were torturing me with last week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elroustom/3082943772/

Elias

This is beyond my knowledge but I can suggest a couple of things.
    First, does the stain show on the back?
Secondly, cut off come test strips in the dark. See if any stain appears on them with the following.
1, just in white light.
3, Developed without exposure and without a safelight and fixed.
2, fixed out without development.
4, if you think the stain is in the support the emulsion and substrate can be removed completely by treating in household bleach. Of course it may also bleach out any stain. 5, See if an iodine bleach removes the stain (will remove the image).

Test for both residual hypo and residual silver.
Try bleaching with potassium dichromate bleach to see if it removes the stain. That may help diagnose what the stain is. I suspect the paper has become contaminated somehow, the fact that the stain seems stronger at the edges suggests that. I have had prints develop yellow blotches after several years. They were properly processed so I don't know what caused this but I think it occured on off-brand paper.