[pure-silver] KRST (was Sistan and Senior Moments)

  • From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:49:39 -0400

Humpf.  Not sure who to believe at this point, Kodak or the speculators!!

So I guess I'll keep on using it 1:19; although I will test some reject prints w/the stronger dil. to see if there's a discernible color change. Better safe than sorry.

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats about my safelight testing. The Thomas failed miserably. But luckily I had some rubylith-type stuff to retrofit the glass panes, and it passed w/flying colors. Anyone needs a sheet, let me know, I have some extras.

The only remaining question I have is this: in the US we count seconds using "one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi", etc., which I had to do while testing in the dark. I couldn't help but wonder what folks in other countries use to count off?

-Adrienne Moumin

PS: the 90-min water soak did in fact remove the Sistan screen marks. So back in there to do it all over again once my shipment of Tray Rack & Tank arrives!

***************************************
on the web at:    http://www.picturexhibit.com
Saatchi Gallery:    http://tinyurl.com/hw6r3
Art DC:              http://tinyurl.com/vtjqf
***************************************
Richard Knoppow wrote:

While early research showed
KRST to be an effective protective treatment it appears to
have changed in some way about 20 years ago. After that
change it was no longer effective in weak dilution.

Is there any knowledge of what the change was: Something added,
taken away, a change to the manufacturing process?

And is it possible to add some mystic Kickapoo Joy Juice and
restore the protective action?

  Kodak claimed that they had changed nothing in either the
formula or method of making the stuff. The speculation is
that there was some impurity in one of the ingredients that
caused incidental sulfiding during toning. The sulfiding
probably filled in where the KRST wasn't working. However,
there is no hard proof of this idea.

   ---