[pure-silver] Re: Jobo Processor advice (stinky water)

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:38:57 -0400

At 01:13 AM 9/11/2005 , Uncle wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
>      In the Spirit of Spring, I have cleaned and reearranged the darkroom.
> This is roughly akin to my late mother moving the piano around the house
> every April, though the piano generally was not coated with dried fixer.
Just
> dried tears.
>
>      In the move, I have re-sited my Jobo CPE2 processor in a place that is
> convenient to use, but will make the regular draining of the water reservoir
> difficult. I was wondering if I could leave the water in the bath, but treat
> it with some sort of chemical that will keep it fresh - while not frizzling
> up the heating element or ruining the plastic.
>
>      As I hope to take delivery of a new CPA to do giant prints, any advice
> will also be useful there. Ideas, please?
>
>      Uncle Dick
>
> PS: I eventually escaped the piano though not without scars...

September 12, 2005, from Lloyd Erlick,

Maybe the chemical sold to keep a home humidifiers from stinking up would do
the job. It's quite common for a humidifier to be left for a whole season (or
longer ...) before it is emptied and cleaned.

Here is the information I've found on the disinfectant used. The difficulty
with a humidifier is that most disinfectant substances like chlorine bleach or
Dettol or Lysol (which use phenols) is that they smell very prominently. The
whole house can smell of chlorine or Lysol. The disinfectants sold for
humidifiers don't stink up the place --

Where I live it's commonly available during the heating (dry!) season in
half-liter bottles. At the end of the season it is sold much more cheaply to
get rid of it, and this year I bought a half dozen bottles for three bucks
each. A several-year supply. (Usually the stuff sold this way seems to be a
three percent solution).

Alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride

PAN Pesticides Database - Chemicals
Home > Chemical Search
Help | Feedback
Alkyl* dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride *(60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12,
5%C18) -
Identification, toxicity, use, water pollution potential, ecological toxicity
and regulatory information

Note: See Working with the Information on this Page section below for
important
notes about this data.
Chemical ID
Identifying information, including synonyms, ID numbers, use type, chemical
classification, a link to a list of all products containing this chemical
and a
list of the top crops this pesticide is used on in California.
Poisoning Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of poisoning, first aid, and links to treatment information
for this chemical.
Toxicity
Toxicity to humans, including carcinogenicity, reproductive and developmental
toxicity, neurotoxicity, and acute toxicity.
Regulatory
Links to world-wide registration status as well as regulatory information for
the U.S. and California.
Water
Water quality standards and physical properties affecting water contamination
potential.
Ecotoxicity
Toxicity to aquatic organisms.
Related Chems
List of chemicals in the same family, including breakdown products, salts,
esters, isomers, and other derivatives.

Chemical Identification and Use for Alkyl* dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium
chloride *(60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)

Basic Identification Information About This Chemical
Chemical Name:
Alkyl* dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride *(60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)
CAS Number:
68956-79-6
U.S. EPA PC Code:
069167
CA DPR Chem Code:
Use Type:
 Algaecide ,  Microbiocide
Chem Class:
 Quaternary Ammonium Compound
 View Related Chemicals

Additional Resources About This Chemical Class and Use Type

See the Global Pesticide Resources page for many additional links.

Other Names for this Chemical
About Chemical Synonyms
069167 (US EPA PC Code) , 68956-79-6 (CAS Number) , 68956796 , 68956796 (CAS
Number) , Alkyl* dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride *(60%C14, 30%C16,
5%C12, 5%C18) ,
Alkyl*dimethylethylbenzylammoniumchloride*60%C1430%C165%C125%C18 , Quaternary
ammonium compounds, C12-18-alkyl((ethylphenyl)methyl)dimethyl, chlorides