[pure-silver] Re: Jobo Processor advice

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:08:25 +0200

Stein a écrit :

Dear Friends,
In the Spirit of Spring, I have cleaned and reearranged the darkroom. This is roughly akin to my late mother moving the piano around the house every April, though the piano generally was not coated with dried fixer. Just dried tears.
In the move, I have re-sited my Jobo CPE2 processor in a place that is convenient to use, but will make the regular draining of the water reservoir difficult. I was wondering if I could leave the water in the bath, but treat it with some sort of chemical that will keep it fresh - while not frizzling up the heating element or ruining the plastic.
As I hope to take delivery of a new CPA to do giant prints, any advice will also be useful there. Ideas, please?
Uncle Dick
PS: I eventually escaped the piano though not without scars...

Dear Uncle Dick,

I was in your same position some years ago (regarding the processor, not the piano) and tried chemicals like Tetenal Algenex Super which is a biocide/anti-algae product. I suppose anti-algae products for swimming pools should have the same effect.
The product slowed down the algae proliferation and it was useful if I had to keep the water for a week or so but wasn't very effective on the long term.
Like in a swimming pool, you have to check the water in your processor regularly and add chemicals. As I wasn't very good on this, it always ended in a processor looking more to a swamp.
Cleaning algae is worse than removing dried fixer or tears ...

Since then, I use it in my sink and empty the tank after each use, if I know I have films/prints to develop over several days, I use the Algenex.

Have you considered an electrical pump/tubing to drain it ?.

All the best,

--
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch