[pure-silver] Re: Ilfochrome

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:43:54 -0800 (PST)

It is interesting to see how much people are enjoying color printing.  I
learned a lot from doing a little bit of color work, but I wasn't one that
enjoyed it.  I valued the education but it basically taught me a couple of
things.  First is  the importance of color balance and using the correct
filtration both at capture and exposure of the paper.  It taught me what a good
lab could do for me.  It taught me the importance of consistency in the
process.  It also taught me that I wasn't going to save any money by doing it
myself.  Either I invested in a color analyzer or I was going to usually need
to make several prints to get the one I wanted.  By the time I did that, I had
spent enough to let the lab do it.

What's more is that if I did everything right, and the lab did everything
right, we both got the same print.  With b&w the number of variables are such
that I could never get the same print as I can at home.  The amount of exposure
would never be the same, the dodging and burning wouldn't be the same and
really not much of anything could be the same.  There I saw the necessity of
doing it myself.  Yet if color wasn't cheaper, and it wasn't any different if I
did it right, I came to the conclusion that why should I spend my time that way
when the pro lab did color balance all day long.  In reality I was spending
time trying to get work as good as there's and paying the same amount or more
to do it.  It wasn't something I enjoyed so I went back to leaving it to labs
and only print things I considered extremely special (such as a gift that I
wanted to tell someone I did it all myself) then it went to the lab.

Yes I can see why people would enjoy it an that's fair.  I can see where people
could be in areas where processing might be difficult or impossible to get
otherwise.  I can see doing it because you want to, but don't expect to save
that much.

Again just like the Ilfochrome, it will be the paper that is the link in the
chain.  Right now RA 4 paper is easy to get.  That may not be the case in years
to come.  You can mix your own chemistry, but its a lot tougher to make your
own paper.  Anyone know if you can even do it with color paper?  Richard??  If
you can, and have, Id be interested to know the process, maybe even try it, and
then keep the data in a file in case it becomes unavailable later.