[pure-silver] Re: IR in cold?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:04:01 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janet Cull" <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:03 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] IR in cold?

Well, I'll go ahead and show my ignorance. Does cold weather, in any way, limit the use of infra-red film?

I've tried a few rolls of IR (Maco) film some time back, but never with success. Every roll has been fogged and I don't know why. I load it in dark, into my Hasselblad, and take it out in darkness. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the Hassy. I have problems with no other films, so that a safe assumption?

I thought I'd try more Maco, but it's cold out. (Are you laughing? This sounds ridiculous maybe, but I really don't know. Seems someone told me something like IR film is "heat activated")

Please excuse my ignorance.

Janet

Normal IR film is not sensitive to heat rays although it can be fogged by excessive heat. Those pictures that Kodak used to print showing glowing hot items were made using very special very long wave IR film, not the usual stuff sold mostly for special effect pictures. IR film does not even have to be loaded in the dark but should be handled in quite subued light. Cameras made of metal and having shutters with metal blades should be light tight for IR. The film may be getting fogged by exposure to excessive heat at some point since its manufacture or by exposure to IR by being developed in plastic tanks that are not opaque at near IR. IR film should be processed in stainless steel tanks to be sure. If the fog is uniform it may be a manufacturing defect.
   ---