[pure-silver] Re: IR in cold?

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:40:04 -0500

Hi all,

If I remember my elementary physics, unless you are at absolute 0°Kelvin, there is always heat being given off. It might seem to you that it's cold outside, but that's because you body is warmer than the surrounding environment. That's why a heat pump will work in the winter time, it sucks the heat out of the cold air, and the outside air around the heat pump just gets colder. Hot and cold are very relative terms.

Can a physicist in the group confirm this.

One of the more prominent photographers in Montreal, Linda Rutenberg, published a book of photos of Mount Royal, our hill in the center of the city. At that time she was working exclusively in IR and many of the photos in the book are snow scenes on the Mountain. So I don't see the cold as being a problem.

If the film is fogged then I would assume a light leak.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Janet Cull wrote:
Well, I'll go ahead and show my ignorance. Does cold weather, in any way, limit the use of infra-red film?

I've tried a few rolls of IR (Maco) film some time back, but never with success. Every roll has been fogged and I don't know why. I load it in dark, into my Hasselblad, and take it out in darkness. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the Hassy. I have problems with no other films, so that a safe assumption?

I thought I'd try more Maco, but it's cold out. (Are you laughing? This sounds ridiculous maybe, but I really don't know. Seems someone told me something like IR film is "heat activated")

Please excuse my ignorance.

Janet
============================================================================================================= To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                     "I bear witness"