[pure-silver] Re: How do I increase local contrast in my shadows when printing?

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photography" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:36:25 -0500

These are part of the challenges one faces when making prints. I find that I
am put up to those challenges when making prints for other people, but it
even happens from my own negatives ( imagine that ; (  )

Careful selection of appropriate contrast is the answer but how to do it is
the question; Masking, filtration, local negative/ print toning or failing
that, new internegative or even a reshoot. If you haven't done much masking
with films or other light blocking materials, you may find it frustrating.
And while this is Pure Silver, I find nothing wrong with making a digital
mask but this also requires a skill set.

What skills do you bring to the table? Do you feel like you are good at
dodging and burning? Better at film masks?  Both Ralph and Bruce have given
you good starting points. I sometimes find that a graded paper and several
developers give me the separation that I need. Why not selenium toning both
negative and print? In some cases, extreme reduction of agitation can also
help with edge sharpness but perhaps, a quick look at your print would help
with other suggestions.

What papers do you have?

EJ Neilsen

Eric Neilsen Photography

4101 Commerce Street

Suite 9

Dallas, TX 75226

http://e.neilsen.home.att.net

http://ericneilsenphotography.com

  _____

On 2005-09-18 16:05, "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi there,
I was printing up a photo tonight, from a roll of 35mm HIE and I have a dark
windmill set against a blue sky.  Because I had an R72 (89b) IR Filter on,
the blue sky is very dark - which is quite typical of IR shots.

The film has already been developed and I am now printing using Ilford MG IV
RC pearl paper.  Even if I use a grade 5 filter, I can't seen to get
sufficient contrast between the dark sky and the windmill blades.  I can
scan the print in tomorrow if it helps woth suggestions, but without
changing paper brands or doing (selenium) toning, is there anything else I
could try to get an increase in local contrast to make the windmill blades
stand out more against the sky?

regards
Peter