[pure-silver] How do I increase local contrast in my shadows when printing?

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:05:31 +1000

Hi there,
I was printing up a photo tonight, from a roll of 35mm HIE and I have a dark
windmill set against a blue sky. Because I had an R72 (89b) IR Filter on,
the blue sky is very dark - which is quite typical of IR shots.
 The film has already been developed and I am now printing using Ilford MG
IV RC pearl paper. Even if I use a grade 5 filter, I can't seen to get
sufficient contrast between the dark sky and the windmill blades. I can scan
the print in tomorrow if it helps woth suggestions, but without changing
paper brands or doing (selenium) toning, is there anything else I could try
to get an increase in local contrast to make the windmill blades stand out
more against the sky?
 regards
Peter