[pure-silver] Re: History... Clarification

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:46:16 -0700 (PDT)

> The stuff I answered in public were in reply to the
> questions asked in public.

You are correct by virtue of the fact that I expressed the same interest in
both locations. But by and large a substantial amount of what appeared to be a
private answer reappears in your public response... which is fine but somewhat
schocking, as I wasn't expecting it.

Me:
> I don't really grasp the physics behind why the diameter
> of images are related to the intensty of the light, unless it involves
> light "bleed"...

You:
"I would not call it that...

If you consider the geometry of those zillions of pinhole
cameras, consider just one of them. The light that passes through will be
brightest at the center and fall off to the edges. Now the brightness
depends on the amount of light coming through the negative and the lens. So
with normal film, that is what you would see. But if you use high contrast
litho film, all brightness over a certain amount will develop and those less
than that will not. And the brightness is the brightness of that circle (in the
case of a round aperture in the lens)."

So under normal exposure condtions, rather than "light bleed" its more like
"light fall-off"?

Your explanation does makes it much clearer!

What difference does round vs square apetures make?

Thank you,

Ray Rogers