[pure-silver] Re: History... Clarification

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:31:09 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 4:02 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: History... Clarification

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, Ray asked:
> What difference does round vs square apetures make?

& Jean-David Beyer wrote:

Well, I use a round aperture because that is what my
Compon-S f/5.6 180mm lens has. But square apertures are
better (the H.D curve has a better shape). People also used
other shapes for different reasons.

??? Just how many... and what designs for apertures are there?!

I have never ventured to look past the more or less circular (hexagonal? I never bothered to count) apertures... [come to thnk of it, when you say "circular" does that mean circular or approximatly so?]

I recall during the last solar eclipse, there was discussion of how the circular sun could be imaged by all shapes of "apertures" including the spaces between tree leaves....

Were any of these non-circular-ish apertures found on common (pictorial) lenses?

Ray

Most process lenses had means for using Waterhouse stops. These are sheet metal stops which are inserted in a slot in the lens barrel. Square stops produce better half-tone tone reproduction because the corners touch when the dots become large so the coverage can be better than is possible with round stops. For four-color work the stops are lozenge shaped and are at very specific angles to control coverage of the ink and to avoid interference patterns known as moire. A google search will find some additional information but Jean-David is by of being the horse's mouth here. Half-tone printing using screens is a quite old technology. While many identify it with poor quality newspaper printing it was capable of superb quality when done right and printed on decent paper. It is not a trivial process: the exposures (sometimes several) are important in controlling the curve of the reproduction and the whole process from photographing to plate making must be done with skill and care. Some termimology current in digital plate making has come down from the original process such as dot gain. This is the amount the dots spread out on the paper due to diffusion of the ink and must be compensated for in the plate making process. There was also often a great deal of hand work done, especially for the best quality reproduction. There is a great deal more to this and perhaps Jean-David may be prevailed upon to expand on it. As far as personal stuff on the list I have no idea what this is about. Sometimes one accidently posts quite personal material intended to be private or something far off topic but I found Jean-David's biographical information fascinating. Of course, we are old friends from Usenet (where we both still follow the Darkroom group). Both his father and grandfather contributed very substantially to the printing trades and to photography and we should be glad to have such a direct and reliable source among us. I have certainly not seen anything objectionable.