[pure-silver] Re: Help?! Minolta Autocord

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:03:59 -0400 (EDT)

From: Leigh Solland <solland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Help?! Minolta Autocord
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:39:37 -0600

> I opened it up to look at the lens from behind, and did some "dry"
> shooting, and while the shutter always sounds like it releases, it
> only opens sporadically.  I was not able to find a way to make it
> fire every time, or not fire every time.  The missing (or present)
> pictures on the developed films appear to be completely random.

My best guess is grease contamination of the shutter blades.

A few questions for additional clue:

- can you charge the shutter immediately after the false firing?
- does the true firing probability change in cold/warm place?
- can you control the shutter speed over the entire range
  whenever the blades open?

> As I see it, we could go into counselling, or I could start ripping
  it open.  Before I do the latter, I want to ask the assembled brain
  trust here for any suggestions or ideas.

Shutters in TLR and rangefinder cameras like Minolta Hi-Matic 7S,
Konica Auto S2, Canonet QL series, etc. are among the easiest to work
on, but I wouldn't expect to do anything without damage on your first
camera to repair.

If the problem is indeed grease contamination, the only sure fire
method is to take the shutter off, take the blades off, immerse the
blades in cleaning solution (most common is lighter fluid. I used to
use a mixture of xylene and acetone, and dry methanol in alternating
way, cleaning at least once in each solution), wipe off the grease,
and dry.  Of course you'll have to put them back on, which also takes
skill.

But then if you do it, I'd recommend to clean the aperture blades and
shutter unit at the same time as well.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."